November 11, 2009

Designers & Their Food.


Over the past few years I have realized that I have a serious addiction – food photography and gourmet food packaging.

I think it all started when I was younger and used to flip through my Mom and Grandma's
Bon Appetit magazines. The gorgeous colors of the meals and luscious foods laid out on the 2-dimensional glossy pages between my 7 year-old hands held me captive. Hands that at that time probably had only helped my Mom pour chocolate chips into cookie batter. Today? It's the magazine's combination of photography and colors and textures and layouts that hold my almost 30 year-old eyes in awe.

Being a designer means always being on alert and so a trip to the grocery store, the neighborhood restaurant, and even the deli on the corner results in scoping all things food and design related. I am not the only one who does this. There are all of the designers and food stylists who MADE this beautiful work possible.

It is with this keen eye that I am always on the lookout for combo of food and design and can't believe that I somehow missed the August Food Issue in PRINT magazine (well, perhaps our subscription here at work ran out). They interviewed designers who do awe-inspiring work (some actually in the food field) and also had them make one of their favorite recipes which they photographed along the way (see above). Of course, their end presentation is spot-on as are their answers to the interviewer's questions. Check them all out:

Louise Fili
Peter Buchanan-Smith
Matteo Bolgna
Alan Dye
Julie Hirschfeld
Khoi Vinh

No comments: