November 3, 2009

Brussels Sprouts.


I think that food is designed. I think that recipes are in fact, works of art. I feel creative when I take groceries and raw foods and combine them just so, to turn a bag of seemingly random ingredients into a meal. So imagine my awe at this latest Brussels sprouts design by Mark Bittman (one of my favorite food bloggers). He has added bacon and figs and called it mid-fall salad! Check it out here.

Brussels sprouts, myself and my plate were first introduced for the first time in my life last year. I had low expectations that were exceeded with flying colors. I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet and delicious they were – nothing how I imagined the one vegetable that seems to get mocked the most when it comes to finicky child and adult eaters. Who knew? Eating them plain and roasted with just a bit of salt was absolutely delicious but here, by some fine design and Mark Bittman's imagination, we have something pretty amazing!

Photo above from NY Times

No comments: