February 8, 2010

Béatrice Coron's Papercuts.





When I'm on the subway I am usually reading. Or watching people. Or listening to 20 year-olds who think they are the next Chris Brown belt out song lyrics with their headphones on for the ENTIRETY of my trip to work this morning. Just an example. Anyhow, another thing that I do is look at the art and the ads. Arts for Transit is a division through the Metropolitan Transit Authority that promotes local visual and performing artists in the subway and rail system.

One of my favorite series are the horizontal posters that they have in the subway cars. About once a year, I notice a new one and after checking out their website, I see they have a new one every year featuring a different artist. The one I saw most recently was a papercut print of Béatrice Coron which was pretty spectacular (first image shown above). This of course led me to some Googling and checking out the rest of her papercut work. All so intricate and with great contrast, here are a few samples above from this French-born artist who has been living in NYC for over 25 years.

3 comments:

adesignaffair said...

Love! Especially since I am so into papercutting lately.

Katherine Lee said...

i'm always so intrigued by this kind of work. how do they do it?!? awesome find as always, hope you're having a great week my dear!

xo urban flea :)
http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

Richie Designs said...

her work is always awe inspiring.

I still can't believe it's paper cuts