November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving, how I love thee. Let me count the ways...



I feel like a kid in school the day before Thanksgiving; I can't concentrate on work, I am watching the clock waiting for early dismissal, and my desk is getting a quick straightening. I guess the only difference now is that there is no official bell (just the blessing of my boss) telling me when I can leave. I am giddy in anticipation of going home for my most favorite holiday of the year. It's funny because growing up it was always my favorite time of year, whether we were hosting in our own home or driving to my aunt and uncle's or grandmother's.

The idea of "home for the holidays" now has taken on even more special meaning for me as I literally DO have to travel home to see my family (though thankfully, not in an airplane on the busiest travel day of the year as my poor brother does coming from Texas). This year in particular feels extra great because I was abroad in Spain for almost three months and one realization I had over there is how important it is to have family nearby (or within one time zone)!

Since my brother and I both "flew the coop" and moved south (he a lot farther than I did), I think our family looks EXTRA forward to this one time a year when all of us are brought together. In fact, my bro and I have been talking about it for the past few months via the phone and email! I know it's more than my Mom's cooking (though that IS a main reason for excitement!). It's the tradition of getting together and seeing cousins and family who we don't get to see all year, sitting around the table and sharing what we are thankful for, talking about New England sports and politics and the latest movies, watching little by little as the number of chairs added to the table grow, and just feeling so warm because I am surrounded by the people I love and eating a fantastic meal!

So although the news may be depressing these days, relish in knowing you have your health, your friends & family and have a delicious Thanksgiving!

No comments: