April 7, 2009

80s Rockin' All Night!


After a mini-vacation to FL (photos to come tomorrow) with Matt to visit my wonderful and forever entertaining grandparents, I came back to NYC on Sunday night only to be greeted by some disgusting, rainy weather yesterday morning and just a solemn work day overall. The evening, however, ended with one of the most fun show experiences I have ever been to as I went to see Rock of Ages, a new addition to Broadway (as of tonight; last night was it's final night in previews). It is a love story set in LA in the mid-late 80s at a fictional music club called the Bourbon Room. I won't tell you more, just that you have to see it.

I truly believe if you were born around 1965 and 1981, your eyes will light up with every song, every 80s reference, and every dance move. It was sheer perfection! Electric "lighters" were given out on our way in the door so when we felt the urge, the audience could raise their hand, light up, and sway back and forth to whatever incredible trip down memory lane was playing (one our favorites was To Be With You by Mr. Big, "...I'm the one who wants to be with you, deep inside I hope you feel it too."). The song list from the show reads like a best of the 80s compilation (or mix tape) and each time the band started, and yes, there was a 5 piece live band on stage the entire time (no orchestra at this show!) eyes got wide in anticipation of knowing the song and perhaps singing along a little in your seat. Each musical number was better than the next and the cast was perfect! It was funny and light-hearted and the absolute best way to end a day that started not so wonderfully. I HIGHLY recommend this show to anyone who lives or is coming into NYC.

A sampling of the AMAZING set list:

We Built This City – Starship
Nothin' But a Good Time – Poison
Keep on Loving You – REO Speedwagon
Just Like Paradise – David Lee Roth
I Wanna Rock – Twisted Sister
Too Much Time on My Hands – Styx
Shadows of the Night – Pat Benatar
Don't Stop Believing – Journey
We're Not Gonna Take It – Twisted Sister
High Enough – Damn Yankees
The Final Countdown – Europe
I Want to Know What Love Is – Foriegner
Here I Go Again – Whitesnake
To Be With You – Mr. Big
Every Rose Has Its Thorn – Poison
Any Way You Want It – Journey
More Than Words – Extreme

No comments: