October 13, 2008

Arrival in Sevilla: October 1.






We arrived in Sevilla after a pretty quick flight from Barcelona; I would say it’s the equivalent in distance from Boston to Washington, DC; just long enough to want to fly there and not drive. Arriving in Sevilla we took the bus from the airport to the last stop which is right near the main University there which was hustling and bustling with students. If I could sum up my first impression of Sevilla, it is that everyone was whistling wherever we went! The bus driver whistled us a tune the entire time and then when Matt and I were walking through the town in search of our hostal, every few streets we passed some whistlers! I was beginning to think we were in some sort of musical and there were going to be people coming out of closed café doors singing and dancing at any minute.

After finally finding our hostal which was nestled on a small street that was not on either of our maps and was too narrow for even a car to fit down (which is quite a feat as most streets were JUST wide enough for a car), we dropped our things in our room and headed out to start our day in Sevilla. We were both famished and asked the man who worked at the hostal for a recommendation for lunch and he told us about a small plaza nearby (that we had remembered walking by a couple of times on our hostal search) that had a bunch of restaurants to choose from. This would be our first meal in Andalucía and a foretelling of the good tapas that the south of Spain had to offer.

With food in our bodies and another reading of the “Sevilla” section in my Rough Guides Spain book (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for a great guidebook. They make books for travel to all countries and cities across the globe. Though I had heard of Frommers, Fodor’s, and Lonely Planet, at Barnes & Noble in early August this one had stood out to me among the other more well-known and I am really happy with my choice) we took off through the main area of town and walked to The Cathedral.

Aside from the whistling all over town, throughout Sevilla and Triana (a neighborhood I will describe in a bit) most of the buildings were all white (as all of Andalucía is known to have the white-washed towns) but with trim the color of this gorgeous yellow ochre.

No comments: